Ice Melt Cables
At the heart of the ice melt solution is the IceBlaster heat cable shown here, and you can see that we use a whole lot of it. Depending on the solution you pick, you will have one (single) or two (double) cables running the length of all your ice melt panels, along with your gutters and downspouts.
In fact the gutters and downspouts play a key role in hiding these cables as they descend from your roof, to the ground where they can be connected to an exterior outlet (economy solution), an exterior controller (standard solution) or an inside controller (premium and prime plus controllers).
Note: A ground fault connector is required for all hardwire heat cable systems. This is an industry standard regulated by the National Electrical Code (NEC). For our economy solution, we include a GF connection (shown below right) but for other solutions, we leave the choice to local electricians more familiar with your home’s current wiring and local building practices.
Ice Melt Controllers
We could write a book about ice melt controllers but you wouldn’t want to read it … and we’re continually searching for new controllers that are more energy efficient, while giving us more operational flexibility. We’re super excited about a new controller we’re working with, that will allow you to monitor and control your system remotely but we can’t tell you when it will be available, so watch for it.
Here are the factors we think are important when selecting your solutions ice melt controller:
- Manual versus automatic control like programmable thermostats.
- Located outdoors or inside your house for ease in monitoring your system.
- Automatic controls turning electricity on and off, based on temperature settings and outdoor temperature.
- Visual displays to make it easy to adjust temperature settings.
- Time delays to minimize surge current, extending the life of your equipment.
- Ability to sense not only air temperature, but also existence of snow and ice, and the temperature of the panels.
- Proprietary software to maximize energy efficiency and operations.